If you are a director or about to become a director of a company, you should make immediate enquiries to ascertain if there are any unpaid and unreported Pay As You Go (PAYG) withholding or Superannuation Guarantee Charge (SGC) amounts.
End of attention
- Directors will be personally liable for unpaid PAYG withholding or SGC amounts.
- Avoid incurring director penalty liabilities by ensuring the company is lodging and paying on time.
- Even if you are no longer a director of a company, or are a newly-appointed director, a director penalty may still apply to you.
- We are likely to issue a director penalty notice to collect company debts where the company hasn't engaged with us to resolve outstanding obligations.
- If a penalty has been incurred, there are certain actions you must take to have the penalty remitted.
- Payment is the only option to remit the penalty if the associated company liability was not reported within three months of the due date.
- Ensure your address details are up to date with us and the Australian Securities and Investment Commission (ASIC).
- Contact us immediately if you have received a director penalty notice (DPN).
- Your tax agent can also help with your specific circumstances.